Sturgeon Bay Utilities
Home Contact Us Site Map Bookmark and Share

How to Reach Us
Bill Payment Options
Electric Department
Water Department
Waste Water Treatment Plant
Utility Rates
Your Bill of Rights
Manage Your Utility Use
Frequently Asked Questions
Report Street Light Outage
Voluntary Contributions
Feedback/Satisfaction Survey
Give Us Quick Feedback

Frequently Asked Questions : What is the Power Cost Adjustment Clause (PCAC)?
Why is my bill so high?
What if I am dependent on electricity for health reasons?
How much water does an average family use?
What should I do if the lights go out?
What is the Commitment to Community charge?
What are Easements and Rights-Of-Way?
What is the Fire Flow and Refuse Charge on my bill?
How do I dispute a bill?

What is the Power Cost Adjustment Clause (PCAC)?

The PCAC is basically a fuel charge adjustment. Some months you will notice the PCAC rate being a positive amount (a charge) and other months you will notice that it is a negative amount (a credit).

The PCAC rate changes each month depending on the wholesale cost Sturgeon Bay Utilities pays to purchase electricity. During months when there is a great demand for electricity, such as summer and winter months, the cost to purchase power is generally higher because the generating facilities in and out of Wisconsin need to rely on all of their generating equipment, even equipment that might not be the most cost-efficient. At “peak usage” times, excess power may also need to be purchased on the spot market.

Fortunately for customers of Sturgeon Bay Utilities, our power supplier, Wisconsin Public Power Inc. (WPPI) does a great job securing cost-effective contracts in advance for the purchase of electricity that will be needed in all 39 of its member communities, like Sturgeon Bay. Through this expertise, Sturgeon Bay and other members have been able to avoid the excessively high fuel costs which have occurred in other areas of the state and nation.

© Copyright 2018 Sturgeon Bay Utilities  |  Privacy Statement